Fitness and Stretching
These exercises are designed to maintain spinal flexibility and strength. If you have a physical disability or if any exercise causes pain stop doing it and consult a Chiropractor or other qualified health professional.
1. Stand straight. Place your right foot on a chair. Gently point your toes and keep your knee straight. Keep your back straight and stretch your arms out in front of you. Bend forwards from the hips and reach towards your knee with your hands until you feel a stretching sensation at the back of your thigh. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat with left leg.
2. Stand on your right leg. Place right hand against a wall for balance. Bend left knee and grasp left foot with left hand. Bring your left knee backwards until you feel a firm stretching sensation in the front of the left thigh. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Repeat with other leg.
3. Sit on a straight backed chair. Bring right knee to right shoulder. Clasp hands around knee and pull towards right shoulder for a count of 5. Repeat with left leg. Clasp right knee with hands and pull right knee toward left shoulder, holding for a count of 5. Repeat with left leg. Rest right ankle on left knee and let right knee drop outwards. Gently press on right knee with right hand, holding for a count of 5. Repeat with left leg. Repeat these exercises alternately 3 times.
4. Lie on back with knees bent and feet flat on floor. Firmly tighten stomach muscles and push lower back flat against floor. Hold for 5 seconds then relax. Repeat 3 times.
5. Lie on back with knees bent and feet flat on floor. Stretch hands out in front and slowly sit up until you can place hands on knees. Slowly come back down to floor. Repeat 10 times.
6. Lie on back with knees bent and feet flat on floor. Let knees fall gently to one side then to the other. Repeat 10 times.
7. Lie on your back on the floor. Bring right knee to chest and hold it there with hands. Straighten left leg and try to lower it towards the floor. Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat with left leg. Repeat 3 times.
8. Lie face down on floor with left arm overhead and right arm by your side. Lift left arm and right leg off floor at the same time then slowly bring them back to the floor. Repeat with right arm and left leg. Repeat 10 times.
9. Stand, let your head bend forwards. When the end point of movement is reached gently stretch a little further and hold for a count of 3. Repeat with neck bending backwards. Turn head to right and stretch for a count of 3. Repeat turning head to left. Bend neck sideways to right and stretch for a count of 3. Repeat bending neck sideways to left. Repeat 3 times.
10. Stand, place hand against forehead. Slowly bend head forward and resist the motion with hand with gentle pressure. Repeat bending head backwards. Place hand against right side of face. Turn head to right and resist with gentle pressure. Repeat on left side. Bend neck sideways to right and resist with right hand with gentle pressure. Repeat on left side. Repeat 3 times.
11. Shrug shoulders firmly. Rotate them in a circle backwards, pulling firmly in each direction. Repeat 3 times.
12. Kneel on hands and knees on the floor. Arch your back like a cat and drop your head at the same time. Then reverse the arch by bringing your head up and arching your back backwards. Repeat 10 times.